About Me

My photo
DFW, Texas, United States
I am a new mom navigating the world of baby wearing, co-sleeping, breastfeeding, and becoming a parent. And we do all this while living on the llama farm. These are my random writings, rants, raves, and ramblings.

Saturday, September 24, 2011

The Power of Oxytocin

Wow, it has been a really long time since I posted. Beside the fact I haven't had a whole lot of interesting things to say, it has been a really rough summer on the llama farm.
But, of all things, I felt compelled to write about me smashing the SHIT out of my finger tonight. Yes, SMASHING THE SHIT out of my finger. I gave birth completely unmedicated and I can say that this was probably some of the worst pain I have ever been in.
We were out to dinner when I experienced a major chair malfunction that left me in some excruciating pain. Of course while I'm trying to avoid puking my guts out / totally passing out, Reagan starts getting upset and fussing. I tell Mark to get him away because his cries were stressing me out.
While writhing in pain, I start flipping through my mental folder of natural remedies and remember that breastfeeding = oxytocin = happy feel good hormones. So I motion Mark over and grab Reagan and put a booby in his mouth. Beside him quieting down, the pain immediately subsided. I could breathe again and the nausea quickly went away.
Fortunately, (with the help of a large glass of wine and my finger in ice) I was able to eat dinner without puking. Not to mention my friends were impressed that I was nursing my child while in the throes of pain.
My finger is jacked, but at least I can maintain my superhero mom status.

Warning - graphic pic

No comments:

Post a Comment